Monday 18 June 2012

The 365 list


The 365 things to do ...
I am travelling back from Kolkata to Delhi. My co-passengers  are a family of three. Husband , wife and their 13 year old son who studies in class 9 in Alwar. After dinner , the lady started some small talk with me and casually mentioned that they are returning after visiting their brother-in-law who has met with a terrible accident . He is a state of coma for the last 3 weeks and the doctors have not given any hope. Multiple organ failure has started. But they  have to return. The summer vacation is over, the husband does not have any leave , son's tuition is waiting . 

As she was describing the condition to me , I was struck with a strange feeling . Nothing very new, but somehow I felt the impact of how life will go on for them as well as the brother-in-laws family.  A grieved daughter studying Engineering and his wife are slowly coming to terms with the situation. No one really is indispensable.  

I thought about the person who is lying in a coma ... on his death bed, the people surrounding him praying for his peaceful death.  He must have had plans for tomorrow, for vacations with his family. Plans and worries regarding his daughter's education, marriage and retirement planning. While leaving for office at 8 am in the morning and coming back at 9 pm, thoughts of leisure and "adda" with friends must have come to his mind which he must have postponed for a later tomorrow . That tomorrow never came. 

All of us plan for tomorrow. Small things like talking to our parents, laughing with our kids, going for hike are planned. Some of the things do not need postponing - but we feel that these are small things which can be planned for and done anytime. " I will do it tomorrow". A very dangerous 5word sentence ! Our parents and child  might be waiting to hear just a few words from us which will make their day joyful. In our stressfull day to day life, we forget that  small things make a big difference.

Most of us usually plan our finances meticulously and we know exactly how much money we will get and plan for spending it. Why can't we the same with the priceless things in our lives ? Why don't we make a list of 365 things to be done before we die  ? Not 10 or 101. I want 365  things . At least one year of my life to do the things which really matter to me rather than living in daily transactions. I do not want to postpone buying the long awaited  gift for my childhood nanny and take my parents for a five-star vacation. 

I pray to God that the ailing person can live so that he can enjoy the simple pleasures of life and can complete his 365 things which he might have wanted to do before his final goodbye from this earth. 

I will start the 365 list today and make sure that I complete at least a couple of them every month. 

June 14, 2012

1 comment: